Columbia, Connecticut is an offspring of the town of Lebanon. The area that is today’s Columbia was originally called Lebanon Crank. The population in this area grew enough to support a 1716 petition to create a second ecclesiastical society so that inhabitants could attend church more readily. In 1804 a petition was granted to create a separate town called Columbia bounded by Lebanon, Coventry, Windham, Hebron and Andover.
Notable residents include:
Eleazar Wheelock 1711 – 1779
One of New England’s most famous pastors. He served as pastor in Columbia for 35 years. He started a school for local Indian students , and over time determined to enlarge it and create a college for all students. Searching for a new location, Wheelock went on to found Dartmouth College in New Hampshire.
Fannie Dixon Welch 1873 -1947
Active politically and a champion of Women’s rights. Fannie held numerous local and state posts including Collector of Ports in Connecticut; Trial Justice in Tolland County; Selective Service Board; National Recovery Commission. Her home “Noxid” on Columbia Lake hosted parties attended by Presidents Roosevelt and Wilson, senators, governors, etc.
June Norcross Webster 1885 – 1964
Norcross Greeting Cards
Saxton B. Little 1813 – 1907
Benefactor of the Saxton B. Little Free Library